After the long, cold winter months, everyone’s minds are thinking about the sunny, hot, summer days. While there is fun to be had in Manitoba, hopefully you’ll get the chance to venture on a summer vacation.
Before you race out the door, make sure you cover all your bases when preparing your home for your absence and ensure you have everything you need for your trip. Here is what your pre-vacation checklist should include:
Keep Burglars at Bay
If you are not careful, there are many tell-tale signs that you are away which could tip burglars off, such as mail piling up or your house staying completely dark.
- Talk to your MIG Insurance broker to see if there are any special arrangements you need to make while you are away.
- Ask a family member, friend or neighbour to:
- Pick up the mail
- Cut the grass
- Take out garbage and recycling bins
- Take a quick look around the house periodically to make sure everything looks fine
- If possible, leave indoor and outdoor lights on timers.
- Lock up your valuables.
- Lock gates and make sure garage and sheds are secure.
Avoid Returning to Property Damage
There is nothing worse than returning from a relaxing vacation to find that the tree branch you’ve been meaning to cut down has caused damage to your house. Before you go, take some time to:
- Check walls, floors, windows and foundations for cracks and leaks; ensure downspouts drain away from your home; and cut down any tree branches that are too close to your home.
- Shut off the main water valve, unplug appliances and turn off computer before you go.
Don’t Forget the Not so Small Stuff
- Have passports accounted for and check expiries well in advance of your trip if you are travelling outside of Canada.
- Don’t forget to plan for the whole family! If your dog or other pet is not travelling with you, make plans ahead of time. Whether that be a kennel, doggy day-care or pet sitter, these all need to be booked ahead of time.
- Pay bills.
- Make sure everyone’s immunizations are up to date and you are all in good health to travel.
You Have a Few Calls to Make
- Talk to your MIG Insurance broker to let them know you will be away as there may be provisions in your policy that you will need to be aware of. Find out if you will need to make any arrangements for your time away.
- Call your credit card company to make them aware of your travels so they do not cut off your card.
- A couple days ahead of your trip, call to stop newspapers and mail delivery.
- If needed, make arrangements for transportation to the airport.
- Make sure prescriptions that you will need to take on your trip are filled in advance.
Don’t Let the Social Media World Know
In today’s day and age, the urge to share photos and moments as soon as they happen is second nature, but you should wait until you are back from your trip to post those photos and memories as this information in the wrong hands can be a hot lead for a burglar.
The Day Before You Go
Your bags are packed, arrangements made, itinerary in hand, but wait, a few last minute things to clear up:
- Ensure that your stove top and oven are both off, as well as any other heating devices are unplugged.
- Lock all your doors and windows
- Set your house alarm.
Now you are all set to go, you can leave your worries at the door and enjoy your vacation!